Christmas decorations are a must-have for any home, whether you’re a nice person or someone who was just a little bit naughty. You can hire a professional or do it yourself, and this guide will help you decide which option is most appropriate for you.
Hiring a Pro
From safety precautions to holiday planning and aesthetics, hiring a professional can make a big difference.
Prevents Slips and Falls
Along with the enjoyment of holiday decorating comes the risk of injury caused by slips and falls. In a three-year period, the CDC reported more than 17,000 trips to the emergency room in the U.S. due to ladder accidents alone caused by holiday decorating. A fracture from a slip or fall can put a damper on the holidays, especially when you’re traveling. To prevent an accident, some homeowners opt to hire a handyman for putting up Christmas lights.
Avoids the Risk of Electrical Shocks and House Fires
Other types of accidents that occur during the holidays include electrical shocks and house fires. Homeowners that lack the experience working with electricity can put themselves and their homes at risk. Hiring a professional Christmas light installer who is adept at navigating electrical panels is your best defense against electrical hazards.
Frees Up Your Time
Christmas––’tis the season for holiday preparation with long to-do lists packed with items that need to be completed. To minimize your list, consider outsourcing a professional Christmas decor installer so you have more time for the following tasks associated with the holidays:
- Creating party invitations: Creating and mailing party invitations for everyone on your list can be time-consuming, especially when you’re designing them by hand or on the computer. Hiring a pro to put up Christmas lights can shave some time off your schedule.
- Holiday shopping: Whether you’re headed to the mall, a boutique store or doing your holiday shopping online, finding the time to shop for the right gifts within your budget can feel like an eternity.
- Checking airports for the best flights: When you’re leaving town for the holidays, finding good flight deals takes advanced planning. If you manage a family and have a full-time job, a few extra hours come in handy.
- Booking lodging and tours in advance: Having a little more time in your schedule can help you find the best hotels, vacation rentals and sightseeing tours that usually fill up fast.
- Wrapping gifts early: Getting a handle on gift wrapping early can relieve the stress of having to wrap all your gifts at once. Break out the scissors, holiday paper, ribbons and tape while a pro hangs your Christmas lights. You might need to wrap a few gifts last minute, but you’ll have many out of the way.
Decorators Can Make Your Home Look Like a Work of Art
There’s an art to hanging Christmas lights and holiday decor. Decorators know the tricks of the trade that can make your Christmas display look beautiful. From combining colors to arranging pinecones, lights and ornaments in just the right spot, by hiring a pro, your home can look like a spread in a decorating magazine.
You’ll Stay Warm and Toasty Indoors
Most people start their holiday decorating around Thanksgiving. If you live in the Northeast or in a mountain region, you’ve likely seen snow, ice and freezing temperatures in late November. By hiring a professional to put up Christmas lights around the exterior of your property, you can keep comfy indoors, perhaps in front of a warm and cozy fireplace.
Christmas Decor DIY
For some, putting up holiday lights together as a family is a must. It’s a time-honored tradition that loved ones look forward to every season and wouldn’t dream of missing out on for these reasons.
Time to Bond With Family
Doing your own decorations provides an opportunity for parents and children to unplug their devices and spend quality time together. With busy calendars filled up with work, school and social events, decking the halls and trimming the tree together can carve out a time slot to gather as a special family activity.
Creates a Sense of Nostalgia
Make a day out of hanging your Christmas decor. Invite your siblings over to go through the boxes and decorate the house. You’ll likely dig up ornaments from your childhood that spark joy and conversation while you create new holiday memories.
You Can Decorate in Your Own Style
Doing your own holiday decorating allows you to display your Christmas lights and decorate your mantle exactly as you like. You won’t need to be concerned with breaking any design rules that can cause any conflicts when working with a design pro.
Safety Tips for Holiday Decorating
Prefer to do the decorating yourself? Consider the following safety precautions when hanging your Christmas lights and decorations:
- Seek out someone experienced with ladder safety for hanging lights on cathedral ceilings and the roof.
- Never work alone on a ladder. Find a buddy to hold the ladder to make sure it’s secure.
- Use LED battery-operated lights to prevent electrical hazards.
- Put down rock salt outside to melt snow and ice.
- Hire your handyman for a few unsafe tasks to ensure success. (There will still be plenty of holiday decorating for you to do.)